Connect with us


Finally, Police Free Seun Kuti



Seun Kuti

Seun Kuti, a popular Afrobeat artist, has been released on bail from the State Criminal Investigation Department in Lagos.

News About Nigeria reports that the news was confirmed by his lawyer, Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika, SAN.

Earlier reports had indicated that Seun Kuti might be released on Tuesday, as his remand in police custody was set to expire on that day.

Court documents revealed that the Chief Magistrate, Adeola Olatunbosun, extended Kuti’s remand until May 23 to allow the police to conclude their investigation and seek advice from the Lagos State Directorate of Public Prosecution.

The police had requested the extension, stating that they needed more time to complete their investigation.

The magistrate granted the extension and scheduled the next court appearance for May 23, 2023.

However, Seun Kuti’s legal counsel had already fulfilled the bail conditions on Thursday.

Surprisingly, the police lawyers appeared in court without notifying Kuti’s legal team.

The magistrate refused to wait for Kuti’s lawyer, leading to the extension of his detention until Monday.

Seun Kuti is facing charges of assaulting a police officer during an incident on May 13 on the Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos.

According to the police, Seun Kuti allegedly assaulted an inspector following a display of reckless driving on the bridge and deliberately obstructing a police vehicle.

During his first arraignment, the Chief Magistrate ordered his remand for 48 hours and granted him bail of N1 million with two sureties.

After a second arraignment, the case was adjourned until May 23, and the prosecutor was instructed to duplicate the case file and forward a copy to the state director of public prosecutions for advice.

Seun Kuti’s lawyer, Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika, SAN, stated that the musician’s bail conditions had been met, but they would respect the court’s decision to extend the remand for four days.

Olumide-Fusika explained that they had fulfilled the bail requirements, but due to the court’s extension, the presiding magistrate had not yet signed off on the release.