The Kaduna State government has refuted reports of a kidnapping incident in a community along the Abuja-Kaduna Highway.
Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, refuted the report which was published in a newspaper earlier on Friday morning, describing it as untrue, misleading and unfounded.
According to the statement, the incident did not occur anywhere near the Abuja-Kaduna Highway or at Iche as reported, neither was the description of Kargako being in close proximity to the highway accurate.
Aruwan said briefs from security agencies and the Kargako Local Government Council, indicated that an abduction did occur along the Kargako-Jere Road, which is far from the Abuja-Kaduna Highway, contrary to media reports.
He revealed that armed men had cordoned off the Gwaje village axis of the Kargako-Jere Road on Wednesday, April 5, 2023 and an unspecified number of occupants from two vehicles, a Volkswagen Golf Wagon (Reg No. LGT228XA) and Volkswagen Passat (Reg No. FSK556AV) were kidnapped.
By the time security agents got to the scene, the vehicles were found empty, News About Nigeria reports.
“The Kaduna State Government expresses its displeasure over the misleading piece of reportage which has unfortunately gained undue traction on social media and beyond,
It said the government views the inaccurate and misleading reports as a major disservice to the campaign against banditry being prosecuted by officers and men of security forces, at the risk of their very lives”, Aruwan said.
The Abuja-Kaduna Highway has been dreaded for series of abductions that occur along one of the most important routes which leads to the nation’s capital.