Connect with us

Metro News

How Mother, Child, One Other Were Electrocuted In Mowe Market In Ogun



How Mother, Child, One Other Were Electrocuted In Mowe Market In Ogun

A mother and her child, along with one other person, were electrocuted in Mowe Market in Obafemi-Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State.

News About Nigeria gathered that the woman and her son were burned beyond recognition.

According to reports, the tragic incident happened on Monday following the restoration of power after the heavy rain that fell in the area on Sunday night.

Eyewitness reports have it that the tragedy struck when the shop owners arrived for their daily sales in the market.

The three were said to have been electrocuted from the step-down transformer suspended on an electrical pole next to the shop where the incident happened.

Confirming the tragic incident on Thursday, the Director of Information at the Obafemi Owode Local Government, Segun Soneye, revealed that it happened because the shop was erected under the power line.

Soneye, who blamed the incident on the erection of shops made of iron under the powerline by the traders, revealed that the Chairman of the Local Government, Ambassador Adesina Ogunsola, has directed that the traders who have the shops vacate the area.

He said, “The chairman of the council had visited the affected shop owners and commiserated with them over the incident. The LG boss has already given shop owners a seven-day ultimatum to evacuate their makeshift shops built under the high tension powerline to forestall the recurrence of the incident.”

He further noted that the Chairman commiserates with the families of the victims, praying that the souls of the deceased would rest in peace.