The kidnappers of Benue Commissioner for Information, Culture, and Tourism, Matthew Abo, have reportedly demanded a huge ransom of ₦60 million from his family before he can be released.
The situation is said to be worrisome as the kidnappers resort to alarming measures to press home their demands.
According to a family source who spoke to NAN, the kidnappers initiated contact with one of the family members and disclosed their demand during a phone call on Friday. The receiver of the call, whose identity remains undisclosed for security reasons, shared these details with the news agency platform.
The source said the abductors placed the phone on the loudspeaker during the call so that the family members can hear the distressing sounds of the commissioner who reportedly, has been subjected to physical harm and cries for help.
News About Nigeria understands that the incident happened when a group of unidentified gunmen ambushed the commissioner at his residence in Zaki-Biam, located in Ukum LGA.
The kidnapping is said to have occurred on the evening of September 24th at around 8 pm. Eyewitnesses recounted the event as the kidnappers, armed and riding on four motorcycles, forcefully entered the residence and took the commissioner.
Meanwhile, the governor of Benue State, Hyacinth Alia, has condemned the sad incident. In response, he has directed security agencies to take all necessary measures to secure the safe release of Commissioner Abo.
When asked if there had been any contact between the kidnappers and either the family or government authorities, the State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), SP Sewuese Anene, only said, “Investigation is ongoing.”