The Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) in Ile-Ife has announced a reduction in various fees for both new and returning students, News About Nigeria reports.
The university authorities have also introduced a flexible payment plan, allowing fees to be paid in two equal installments.
The announcement was made by the Public Relations Officer of the University, Abiodun Olarewaju, in a statement issued on Monday in Ile-Ife.
The decision comes after a meeting between the University management and the leadership of the Students Union, prompted by student protests against the initial charges approved by the University.
During the meeting, the Students Union leaders had demanded a 50% reduction in fees, but the University management clarified that the initial charges were necessary for the efficient operation of the institution.
However, in response to the students’ concerns, the school’s Vice Chancellor, Prof. Adebayo Bamire announced a reduction in fees:
– Returning students in the Humanities faculty will now pay N76,000, down from N89,200.
– New students in the same faculty will pay N131,000 instead of N151,200.
– Returning students in the Sciences and Technology faculty will pay N86,000, reduced from the initial N101,200.
– New students in this faculty will pay N141,000, down from N163,200.
– Returning students in the Pharmacy and College of Health Sciences faculty will pay N109,000, compared to the initial N128,200.
– New students in the same faculty will pay N164,000 instead of the original N190,000.
The decision to reduce the fees and introduce an installment payment option is expected to provide relief to students and their families. The University has also opened its portal to facilitate fee payments by students.